Sunday, August 10, 2008

As Seen On 400 South and 900 East

Dave and I were stopped at the light heading up to my folks' house. (Happy Birthdays, Mom & Dad!) This dude was crossing in the crosswalk. He looked normal enough. White tee, jeans, maybe a little bit straight-thuggin', but nothing over the top.

Then he did this crazy knee raise with a fist-to-chest bump.* At first I thought, maybe he tripped, although it seemed a little stylish for a trip. But then he did it again. OK, he's got moves. On the third knee-raise-chest-bump I deemed it "tourette's-walking." He tourette's-walked his way all the way through the cross walk and across the lawn at the Village Inn. I wondered if he was meeting a buddy, or going to work.

But, no. He started digging through the ash tray outside of the V.I., pulling out half-smoked cigs, all while shimmying his shoulders. Dave said, "Don't stare. Its not polite."

I replied, "But he's still dancing. While digging through the garbage." (He had moved from the ash tray to the garbage can, still shimmying, which in my mind, made it appropriate to stare.)

Dave said, "And there doesn't appear to be any apparent music, does there?" At which point the light turned green and we had to forge on.

Damn you, light. I was watching that.

* Edit: Dave just asked what I was doing, and when I told him I was blogging about the tourette's-walker, he found this clip from Cadence and said, "Isn't this what that guy was doing?" It is.

1 comment:

Rich said...

Okay. That really made me laugh. The clip was funny, too.
Rich