Saturday, April 7, 2007

Good Day Sunshine

I'm always nervous the first time I ski in a season. Yes, its true - my first time skiing this season was in April. When Dad and I first got to the top of Majestic, I tried dilly-dallying by asking where they keep the tobaggons on the mountain, what's up with that funkily-painted double decker bus at the top of a lift, blahbiddy blahbiddy blah... But that only works for a minute, then its time to ski down, and I actually did just fine. Its like riding a bike. The run I liked the best today was Sunshine. It was so good, in fact, that we decided to do it twice in a row. The second time up the Snake Creek Express, I realized I had to pee. Challenge to self: get from the top of Snake to the bathroom at the base of the mountain without stopping. Challenge accepted. Challenge rocked! I swoosh swoosh swooshed down the entire mountain. I've never done that before, and it was fun. Eventually my quads were burning, my knees were aching, and I determined I only had one run left in me. On the way down that last time we watched a girl fall onto her own ski, and I got to watch ski-patroller Dad in action. He took her down on a tobaggon, which was exciting, and then it was time for me to get back to the valley for the next thing I've been nervous about lately...

Kickball practice. The season starts Thursday and I haven't played kickball since elementary school! But today I met my team, and they're really fun. Granted, two of them know one of my ex-boyfriends, and two of them know my boss, but that sort of thing is to be expected in Small Lake City. As for the kickballing itself, it wasn't so bad. The sprinting from base to base was harder than I thought, but it'll be good for me. I think I'm going to like it. As soon as I figure out what field position I'm most comfortable in.

Skiing in the morning. Kickballing in the afternoon. This is what springtime in the high desert is all about.

No comments: